As you may know, Social Media sites, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Youtube are an ever expanding presence on the World Wide Web. This is a presence, that as a business owner, you can take advantage of! Today we’ll be going through how to set up your very own Facebook “Like Page” to promote your company and bring in potential new customers through digital word of mouth.
What is a Facebook Like Page? It is a special page you can set up and administer on Facebook from a standard Facebook account, that functions like it’s own separate account. This gives you a quick and easy way to manage your business’s Facebook presence while attracting potential new customers. Below is an example of Enter.Net’s Like Page for your reference.
As you can see, it is functionally similar to a normal Facebook account, while providing new and important features for businesses to provide critical information to your potential customers. Lets get started setting up your very own Business Like Page.
For those of you new to Facebook, we’ll first walk through how to set up your own Facebook account, and get you on the road to enjoying Social Media, and making it work for you!
- First, open your browser of choice, and navigate to www.facebook.com.
- As you can see in the image to the right, you can log in in the top right if you already have a Facebook account. But we’ll ignore that for one moment in the sake of thoroughness.
- For creating a new Facebook account, it’s as simple as filling in the required forms.
- After clicking Sign Up, you are taken to a quick series of questions to help fill in your general information and add a profile picture. You may skip these if you want, they are not required for setting up a Facebook Like page.
- You will receive your confirmation e-mail at the address provided. Open it, click on the link and your registration will be complete!
With the setup out of the way, we can get down to business. Don’t worry if your page looks rather sparse for now, or if you already have an account and personal items on the page! This won’t matter when we go to set up the Like Page.
- First, notice Facebook’s internal search bar at the top of the screen. Simply type in “page” and Facebook Pages will be the first option in the drop down list of destinations.
- Clicking on that will bring you to the Facebook Page overview. Facebook has many featured pages here, in many different categories. But what we’re looking for is in the top right corner, the button that says “+ Create Page”.
- Ah, now we’re getting to the fun parts. This page lets you select what sort of page you would like to create. Each option allows for different options and details to be presented, when setting up your own Facebook Like Page, take some time and look around to select the one that seems the best fit. For now though, lets select “Company, Organization or Institution.”
- This selection usually gives the largest number of data fields to provide your customers with information, and is our preferred method for promoting businesses on Facebook.
- After selecting it, you will be prompted to choose a category for your business and enter a company name. Pick the selection that best fits your business.
- Then simply enter your company name, and agree to the Facebook Terms of Service.
So, we’ve created the page. Huzzah! Now lets get to work populating it with information, images, and all the exciting stuff that will get people Liking your page, and passing along news of your business via digital word of mouth.
- The very first thing Facebook asks for is a Profile Picture. This image will be displayed in the top left of your Like Page, as well as whenever Facebook uses an icon image to represent your Like Page.
- Following that, Facebook asks if you would like to import your current contacts and invite friends to check out your new Like Page. If you have just set up a new Facebook account for this, don’t worry too much about this step.
- This 3rd guided step asks for a website link to your main site, and a brief blurb about your business. If you do not currently have a website you may leave this section blank (and check out our design and hosting solutions).
- Having passed through the guided steps, we now see a “Getting Started” page by Facebook. I encourage you to come back and revisit this page later, there are useful tools here to promote your presence, but what we’re after is in the “Info” tab on the left hand bar.
- Once you click on Info, and then on the Info page, click on the “Edit Info” button at the top of the page.
- Now we’re talking! Don’t be overwhelmed by the number of fields on this page. Not every business will use all of them, but the more information you provide, the more likely a prospective customer will find your business useful!
- Fill out the fields provided, hit save and you’re done! The basic setup of your Like Page is finished!
So, that’s the basics out of the way. You’ve filled out information on your business, now what? There are a few things left you can do though. If you would prefer, new visitors to your Facebook page can see your Information tab first, instead of the Wall. You may change the default page visitors see under your pages settings.
- At the top right of the page, there is “Edit Page” button. This will bring you to the Administration panel. The option we want here, is the “Default Landing Tab.” Lets go ahead and change that from the Wall to Info.
There we go, now people will be greeted by information on your business as soon as they reach your Facebook Page! While that just about wraps up this tutorial, there are still more advanced options available to you with Facebook, including Like boxes on your website (as seen on the right sidebar of this site), Custom Facebook Tabs (see pictures below for Enter.Net designed custom tabs), and shortened Facebook Page URL’s when you reach a certain number of fans.
We here at Enter.Net hope you found this tutorial useful, and wish you luck in integrating your business’s presence into the Social Media spectrum! If you’re looking to make a bigger splash in the Social Media pond, or are looking to update your Web and Mobile presence, please contact us for more information on how we can help your business stand out!